"and He was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him." - Mark 1:13
The first month of the new year has pasted, and I’ve been reflecting a lot over the choices I’ve made the past years. Many of them were mistakes, and I can’t help wonder, if I never made those mistakes, would my life be better now? But why ponder over the past, I’ve decided to look towards the future.
My friends know that I believe in God. They know I was raised as a catholic. But at this moment in my life, I’ve never been further away from God.
Surely I’ve talked to him some times. But I haven’t made any effort or sacrifice to show my faith. Therefore, I have decided to lent and give up some vices that have made my life worse in many ways.
1. Drugs: they have no reason to be in my life at all, they damage the body and give a false reality in which I escape to sometimes.
2. Alcohol: I have overabused this substance to the point where I’ve made mistakes and said terrible things, it destroys the body from the inside and provides no help when abuse it.
3. Tobacco: another substance made to abuse and be addicted to by manmade corporations, I’ve tried to quit so many times, this time will be the one.
4. Sexual relations: having sex before marriage is against the word of God, but it also destroys the connection that can be made with a person from the opposite sex. The last time i fasted from sexual relations (no fondling, no jerking off, no touching, no kissing) I met my ex-girlfriend. New love arose at that time, because sex was taken out of the picture.
The fasting shall start on ash wednesday (March 5th) and last until easter (April 20th), in total lasting 46 days. It won’t be easy, but with enough willpower and strength, I will get through this.
I do this to show faith, and to become a better person.
“Lord Jesus, your word is life and joy for me. Fill me with your Holy Spirit that I may have the strength and courage to embrace your will in all things and to renounce whatever is contrary to it.”
- Strength from God in resisting temptation
I will be updating the journey weekly, when it starts, a month from now.